Sunday, November 13, 2005

The Fog (2005) - Patti

During the month of October, we tried to watch as many horror movies as we could. This was one we actually paid for to see at the theater. Why? I guess just to get into the spirit of Halloween. Plus, I really liked the original film from 1980; even with Adrienne Barbeau in it!

Well, this version is pretty true to the former. No wonder... John Carpenter (who directed the 1980 film) produced this 2005 outing. If you're not familiar with the story, in a nutshell, this is it: A quaint coastal town is haunted one evening by the ghosts of its founding fathers. The ghosts ride in on the "fog" and they come back with a vengence. Seems as though someone had done someone wrong way back 100 years ago and it's payback time.

What was different in this newer version? The back-story for starters. I found that to be really interesting. I never quite understood why the ghosts we so pissed off in 1980. Plus, the ending. Hated this new one. Absolutely hated it. No other way to say it... it sucked!!!

The effects were also different. Lots more gore. Did I mention leprosy? But I think the original wins in this category. I'd rather see a spooky white mist than a CG "creep." There's just something scarier about the unknown.

The actors also left me wishing we were at home watching our DVD of the old movie. Okay, I can live without Adrienne Barbeau (apologies to any fans out there). But you have to admit... Jamie Lee Curtis had a much better scene with a zombie in the hospital than Maggie Grace did! (Jamie was at the height of her scream queen fame when The Fog came out.) However, Selma Blair was probably the best out of the entire new cast. But that's still not saying much.

What did I think overall? I jumped, I screamed, I felt entertained to a degree. It was like a thrill ride at an amusement park. Would I want to ride it again? Nah, probably not. I'd much prefer watching the eerie B-movie from 1980 that gave me nightmares as a child.

VERDICT
WHO FELL ASLEEP: Rob (after about 20 mins. in the theater!!!)
WHO RECOMMENDS IT: neither
BUY/RENT/SKIP: skip

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home