Saturday, November 19, 2005

A History of Violence - Patti

This is the one movie you absolutely MUST see this year! Adapted from (get this) a graphic novel, "A History of Violence" is an engrossing story of one man's journey to protect his family... yet, it's so much more.

I had no idea of the plot other than it was going to be brutally bloody and that it was directed by David Cronenberg when we decided to see "Violence." The movie has one of the best openings I have ever seen. You have no choice but to sit down and hold on tight for the ride that is about to start. It had me at hello, if you know what I'm saying! ; )

Without a doubt, this is Cronenberg's finest film since "Dead Ringers" or "The Fly." The cast is outstanding and their performances are first-rate. The story appears to be straightforward. However, things are definitely not what they seem. Do yourself a favor: Read as little as you can and just go see this movie. You will thank me later. Trust me!

Take note, however, if you are in any way squeamish. This film has some of the most graphic depictions of "real" violence that I have seen since "Saving Private Ryan." Still, it worked. I'm not sure how Cronenberg pulled it off...but he did. I cringed when brains were blown out, but I was moved by the character's motivation for blowing them out. It was more than just rooting for the hero. It was following him on his journey, understanding him, and empathizing with him in the end.

VERDICT
WHO FELL ASLEEP: neither
WHO RECOMMENDS IT: both
BUY/RENT/SKIP: buy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home